My Personal FRIED TOMATOES RECIPE!!!!
Don’t know if you’ve noticed how often I’ve covered Fried Green Tomatoes, but I just LOVE LOVE LOVE tomatoes! Ask any nutritionist or health expert, and they will tell you that tomatoes are one of the best and most healthiest things you can eat! I try to incorporate tomatoes into my daily diet, whether I slice them for a sandwich, chop them for a salad, or fry them up and eat them as a side or appetizer!
A couple of weeks ago, I was walking the Harlem streets and came across a local Farmer’s Market… FYI, this is THE season for farmer markets! Take advantage and find your local one for the freshest picked fruits and vegetables to stock up on… Of course I went right to the tomatoes. I searched for green, but to my delight came across some vibrant and plump yellow ones instead! I came home, fried them up, and posted the pics on Facebook… Everyone begged for the recipe, so here it is! ENJOY!
This is MY PERSONAL recipe, although I’m sure I found it years ago elsewhere, but through the years have modified it to make it my own… And I’m a bachelor, so when I fix fried tomatoes, I usually slice one tomato and eat it for myself… Amp up the ingredients if you’re using more than one tomato.
- 1 Tomato (any kind – red, yellow or green)
- 1 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder/salt
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (not that stuff in the green aluminum can your granny uses on spaghetti, but REAL freshly grated cheese)
- 1 large Egg
- 1 tablespoon of Grey Poupon
- 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- COOKING DIRECTIONS:
- - Heat up oil in a frying pan or skillet
- - Combine 3/4 cup of flour, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper
- - In a separate bowl or plate, mix parmesan cheese with 3/4 cups of flour (other recipes suggest panko or bread crumbs, but I rarely if ever have that in the house, and flour works just as well.)
- - In another bowl whisk eggs and add mustard
- - Slice tomato and dip slices one by one in seasoned flour, then dip in egg mixture and finally, dip in parmesan and flour mixture, pressing the parmesan on so tomatoes are completely dusted and covered.
- - Once all slices are breaded, place in frying pan and cook for 1.5 – 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.