Did you know??? Today is NATIONAL PRETZEL DAY!!!!
Today is NATIONAL PRETZEL DAY!!! Stop by an Auntie Anne’s or someplace good and get your pretzel on today! I love pretzels! Look around today, because many pretzel makers are giving away the tasty treat for free!!! Whether you prefer thick or thin, soft or crunchy, Pretzels make for the perfect snack and are a way healthier option than chips (if you don’t over do it)…
I also love a pretzel for their heart-shape design… I mean, who doesn’t want a little love at every chance they can get?
So to celebrate this foodie day, here are some interesting facts on THE PRETZEL:
- Pretzels are believed to be the world’s oldest snack.
- Pretzels date back to 610AD in Southern France.
- Monks first made pretzels by baking thin strips of dough into the shape of a child’s arms folded in prayer… They added salt and the pretzel was born!
- In the 17th century pretzels were known as a marriage knot. During the wedding ceremony, the couple getting married would wish upon a pretzel and break it just as we do the turkey wishbone, and then they ate it to signify their oneness
- German Children- German children held a connection to pretzels in the early 18th century as well. They would tie a pretzel on a string and then tie it around their neck at the beginning of a new year for prosperity, health and good fortune
- Oprah Winfrey’s favorite type of pretzel is the hard sourdough kind.